- 1 Things to know about Lavender.
- 2 Best Time to Visit Lavender Fields Near London
- 3 My list of the Best Lavender Fields near London.
- 4 The top 10 Lavender Fields in the World.
Have you ever visited a Lavender field in bloom? It is an absolute sensory treat of colour and fragrance. I have always wanted to visit Lavender fields after a visual treat on the internet of Provence in France. Did you know that England is home to one of the top 10 Lavender Fields in the World? This is when I decided to share my experience of visiting the Best Lavender Fields near London.
Things to know about Lavender.
- The evergreen plant gets its name from old French – lavandre and ultimately from Latin – lavare (to wash) The Ancient Romans named it after using it for bathing rituals.
- There are 47 different varieties of Lavender which vary in shades from Lilac to Blue.
- They require very little upkeep and most of them grow without any fertilizers in well-drained soil.
- Lavender oil is believed to have antiseptic properties and also useful for treating anxiety and depression.
Best Time to Visit Lavender Fields Near London
Most lavender fields near London are open from early June to the end of August but the best time is visit is in July when they are in full bloom. It is always better to visit on a weekday as weekends tend to get very busy. Visiting Lavender fields is a popular summer activity in England.
Tips on visiting Lavender Fields near London – Either visit early part of the morning or just before closing.
My list of the Best Lavender Fields near London.
1 Carshalton Road, Banstead, SM7 3JA
Open: Monday-Sunday 9am -6pm
Tickets first come, first served
Adults £4, kids free
TIP: avoid weekends as it gets very busy, no picnics allowed here.
This is undoubtedly the closest Lavender Field near London and features on the Top 10 Lavender fields in the World.
Mayfield Lavender Farm is in Surrey and is a short train ride from London. It is a very Instagrammable Place in London and the highlight is the Red Telephone Box in the middle of the field. Mayfield has a cafe and shop where you can enjoy beverages or sample some of the Lavender Products.
- Cadwell Farm, Arlesey Road, Ickleford, Hitchin, SG5 3UA
- Open: Monday-Sunday 9am-8pm
- Tickets – Due to pandemic you need to pre-book tickets.Adults £7, under 4years free
- TIP: Picnics are allowed so carry your own treats.
Hitchin Lavender is farm is located close to both London and Cambridge in the village of Ikleford with spectacular views of the English Countryside. Home to roughly 35 miles of lavender rows which you can walk though. Apart from Lavender it also has a sunflower field. It has a 17th century barn which serves as a café offering homemade cakes and treats. Visit the museum which houses a replica of the Perks& Llewellyn Pharmacy, known for its Lavender Products.
Herbs of Heights @ RHS Wisley
- RHS Garden Wisley, Wisley Lane, Wisley, Woking , GU23 6QB.Open: Monday-Sunday 9am-5pm
- Tickets – Due to pandemic you need to pre-book tickets or via membership of RHS.
- Adults £16.50, Child £8.20 – This is for the entire RHS Wisley Park
- TIP: Picnics are allowed. Combine your RHS visit with a Lavender treat.
The RHS Wisley is one of the world’s greatest garden and horticultural society dating back to 1804. It is very popular with visitors from around the globe and a with a diverse garden covering 240 acers. The Glasshouse with a vast collection of tropical plants and flowers from around the world is one of the highlights of RHS. A new section added is the Herbs of Heights. A display made up of 5,500 lavender and rosemary plants. Follow the spiral fragrant ramp up to the viewing mount for unparallel views of the park and lavender display.
- Redmans Lane, Sevenoaks, TN14 7UB
- Open: Wednesday -Sunday 10am-5pm
- Due to pandemic you need to pre-book tickets
- Adults £4.25 adult, £2.25 for 5-15-year-old.
- TIP: Visit the Award-Winning Hop Shop and sample the Kentish Lavender and Honey. Picnics are allowed.
Castle Farm is a family run farm based near the scenic village of Shoreham in North Kent. The award-winning farm shop offers a range of produce from beef, apples, dried flowers, pumpkins and food essences. In the summer months it is popular for its Lavender fields and lavender products. You can enjoy the Lavender Harvest in August which transforms its beautiful blooms into essential oils.
So, after all you don’t need to visit Provence to enjoy those beautiful Lavender fields. My list of the Best Lavender Fields near London should help as a fix until you get a chance to visit some of the best Lavender fields in the world.
The top 10 Lavender Fields in the World.
- Provence, France.
- Mt Shasta Lavender Farms, Montague, California, USA.
- Mayfield Lavender, Banstead, UK.
- Blues Dreamland, Beijing, China.
- Warratina Lavender Farm, Victoria, Australia.
- Goseong Lavender Festival- Gangwon-do, South Korea.
- Lavender Farm Guest House, Franschhoek, South Africa.
- Furano Lavender Fields, Hokkaido, Japan.
- Hvar, Croatia.
- Bridestowe Lavender, Tasmania
If you enjoyed reading about the Best Lavender Fields near London, you will surely like the Best Gardens in London.